|Temples & Shrines of
There are plenty of historical sites, and a lot of precious
cultural relics on tbe mountain, each of which has its own
monastery was built in the 16th century, enlarged in the 17th
century by Emperor Kangxi, and rebuilt in recent years. Its 3.5
meter porcelain Buddha, made in 1415, is housed near the Sutra
Library. A big bell, also made in the Ming Dynasty with a weight
of 12.5 tons, has more than 60,000 characters on it. The sound
produced by the bell is so deep that its echo spreads as far as
15 kilometres. To the left of the gate is a rockery for potted
miniature trees and rare plants. It is about 63 km from Baoguo
Monastery to the peak. The greater part of this distance can be
covered by car so that there are only about 11 km to walk.
Fuhu Temple lies at
the foot of the mountain only 1 km west of Baoguo Monastery. It
was founded in the Tang era and redesigned in 1651. In the temple,
a 6-metre 17-storeyed bronze tower made in the Yuan Dynasty(1271-1368)
has some 4,700 engraved Buddhist figurines on it. Visitors will
find a guest house and a restaurant there.
Qingyin Ge pavilion
is in the middle of an untouched landscape 15 km from Baoguo Temple.
Two streams, Bailong Jiang (the White Dragon River), in the west
and Heilong Jiang (the Black Dragon River), in the east flow past
the pavilion and then converge. Two parallel arched bridges span
99 Hairpin Bends
The 500-m-long "99
Hairpin Bends" leads from Qingyin Ge towards Hongchun Ping . This
path is steep and winding and, therefore, difficult to walk along
(cable car available).
Hongchun Ping lies
10 km from Qingyin Ge at an elevation of 1,100 m. It was built
in the Ming era and restored in 1790. The temple's treasure is
a tall, bronze lamp with a diameter of 1m, decorated with over
300 Buddha sculptures, dragons and lotus blossoms.
Nine Olds Cave
The Daoist Nine Olds
Cave (the Cave of Nine Immortals), was the refuge of nine old
men in ancient times, according to a legend.
at an elevation of 1,700 m dates from 1612. The halls that are
open to the public were built during the Qing Dynasty.
The Copper Hall
with a gold-plated roof in Woyun Temple, built in the Ming Dynasty
on the mountain top, is eight metres high, 4.8 metres wide and
4.3 metres deep. The whole body of the hall was made of copper
with a gold plated roof inside the hall, there is a five-metre
high bronze statue of Samantabhadra mounted on an elophant and
24 bronze Buddhist images. Outside the hall is a bronze tablet,
on which 2,564 characters were engraved by calligraphers Wang
Xizhi of the Eastern Jin Dynasty(317-420) and Chu Suiliang of
the Tang Dynasty(618-907).
Elephant Bathing Pool
Pool is a hexagonal, 3-m-deep stone basin about 14 km from Xianfeng
Temple. According to one legend the bodhissattva Puxian washed
his elephants here whenever he passed by.
Near the Elephant
Pool, there is a temple at an elevation of 2,100 m: Chuxi Yan
from the Ming era. It consists of only one hall in which three
Buddhist sculptures stand: Guanyin, Dizang and Dashi Zhi. There
are many monkeys in this region. On mountain slopes, monkeys often
come out to "rob" you: they may extend their hands begging for
food. If you show your empty hands, they usually let the matter
go. But sometimes an insistent monkey will try to seize your coat
to make sure you really have nothing to offer.
The highest part
of Emei Shan is the 3077-m-high Golden Summit, also called Qianfo
Ding, Thousand Buddha Peak. It is about a two-hour's walk from
Elephant Pool and is surrounded by countless peaks. In the east,
the glistening waters of the Qingyi, Minjiang and Dadu rivers
can be seen.
The special feature
of the Golden Peak is 'Buddhist Halo', a natual phenomenon that
can be observed several times a month and almost daily in October
and November. In the afternoon, the sunbeams break through the
cloud cover and build a rainbow in the shape of a closed circle.
Whoever looks down from Sheshen Cliff can see his own shadow in
the middle of the rainbow. At ancient time, many a Buddhist pilgrim
who saw his shadow in this circle of light falsely interpreted
it as his having achieved illumination and sprang into the abyss.
But now, the one who sees such miraculous scene would be considered
as a lucky guy and envied by many people.
The temple, 1,043
meters above sea level, was built in the 4th century. It was burned
several times in the following centuries. The present brick building
was reconstructed in the Ming Dynasty(1368-1644). The Brick Hall,
a domed building with small stupas on it, was built of bricks.
In the hall is a statue of the Bodhisattva Puxian on a white elephant,
8.5 meters high, cast in copper and bronze. It weight is estimated